Thursday, September 3, 2009

Test/First Post

Hello hello hello! Dear friends and family,I am starting this blog so I can keep in touch with all of you and share my pictures/current goings-on with you as I spend my school year in France :)
With this blog I can answer questions, provide details, and interact with all of you in an open forum; I think it will work out better than sending out newsletter e-mails or posting notes on fecebook. If you want, you can subscribe to this blog, and you will get an e-mail every time I update/put up a new post.

I don't know how much I've gone into detail with everyone about where I've been assigned and what exactly I'm doing, so I'll try and clear that up a little bit. I was chosen by the French Ministry of Education to serve as a Foreign Language Teaching Assistant in a French high school from the beginning of October to the beginning of May. The school I'm teaching at is the Lycée Louis Davier in the town of Joigny.

Since Joigny (jw-anne-yee) is a small town, and I had no idea where it was in France, I'm gonna post some maps to help you visualize where it is.

So this is Frogland (France). Yup, Paris is in Red. If you look at the orange region that is South and a bit East of the Parisian region, the one with Dijon as its capital, that region is called Bourgogne (Burgundy) and it's the region I'll be teaching in. Let's zoom in on Bourgogne.

There it is. As you can see, Bourgogne is divided up into four sections called départements: la Nièvre in the West, la Saône-et-Loire in the South, la Côte-d'Or in the East, and l'Yonne in the North. Joigny is in l'Yonne. It is located between the two cities listed on the map, Auxerre and Sens. Auxerre is the capital of l'Yonne.
I would go into more detail, but I haven't been there yet, and I'd rather tell you more once I get there. To give you a sense of how far away from Paris it is, it take about an hour and a half to go from Paris to Joigny by train.

I'm leaving on Sunday and I'll be doing a little hiking/traveling before I start work. I'll keep you posted.

So far, I'm just crossing things off my list, trying to do my favorite things that I can only do in the states (Like go to Waffle House, or get free coffee refills, or buy groceries whenever I want, drive a car, etc etc.)

Leave comments, concerns and questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment